[chbot] Arduino for $3! & link for 2.2 inch touch screen

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Mon Oct 20 19:32:15 BST 2014

On Tue 21 Oct 2014 06:18:48 NZDT +1300, Mark Atherton wrote:

> What experience and problems have you had with the FTDI replacement
> USB-serial bridge IC on the Arduino Nano ?

None.
* The chip is not even specified.
* If it's a Chinese one, datasheets are anywhere from annoying to
impossible to get, never mind their quality (I have seen some good ones
too though).
* I couldn't care less whether it works on YOUR computer, I need it to
work on mine. No information as to the probability of this happening is
available. A tidbit of specific information was available saying the
chip was specifically introduced to solve problems on computers I do not
use. For me this translates into a "hands-off" suggestion.

I could order a sample and try it out. Or I could just stick with the
chip that has been proven to work and proven to have rock-solid drivers,
and not waste my time on saving $2. It is a useful option to know about,
thanks to Stewart for pointing out another source of interesting
components.

I flagged this as an issue to consider, I didn't say you should go
either way. Do you have a problem with that?