[chbot] solar roads

Geoff sdfgeoff at gmail.com
Mon May 26 19:59:28 BST 2014

The figure of 7-8 years came from some analysis our class did in and ENGR
study, where some of the data used was the sunshine hours in Christchurch
(2050 out of an ideal 4380 daylight hours). There were also several
assumptions made regarding installation energy, loss of efficiency due to
non-ideal alignment of the panels and so on.
I had a brief look at the source for the graphs, but could not find a list
of assumptions that they made or data they used. Chances are they're
different to mine, and probably more valid.
But bear in mind that these roads do not tilt to track the sun, which
reduces their energy output hugely, particularly far from the equator. I'd
guess by perhaps 30% or so.