[chbot] Why galvanic isolation is important

Charles Manning cdhmanning at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 10:58:45 BST 2014

Apart from anything else, Volts don't kill. Current does.

I've been struck by lightning, thankfully through quite a high
inductance path, and nothing bad happened to me.

What really amazed me when I came to NZ twenty something years ago was
the lack of RCDs. In South Africa all houses are always fed through
RCDs. IIRC, that was mandated in the early 1960s. If that lady had
been charging her ithing through an RCD she's be fine now.

Risk management is surrounded by stupid polices because we have an
irrational understanding of risk. We are fearful of modern risks "What
if a UAV falls out the sky?" "What if the kids swallow powerful
magnets?" yet happily have matches, kitchen knives, blenders and
electricity in our houses. These were thankfully invented before
people became pathetic. You have a 100% chance of dying from
something.