[chbot] Why galvanic isolation is important

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Sun Jun 29 02:06:39 BST 2014

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/faulty-usb-phone-charger-blamed-for-sheryl-aldeguers-death-20140627-zsoc8.html

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ftw/About_us/News_and_events/Media_releases/2014_media_releases/20140626_safety_alert_usb_style.page

Regarding Peter's SSRs it was good to see that people started to see the
isolation between the SSRs control inputs and load terminals as safety
critical, and thanks Mark for offering to bring in your isolation
tester. However I see this only as a good start, measuring isolation
once I don't think is really good enough to determine whether it will be
safe to touch the control terminals in the future. That approach may be
good enough for sparkies and copper cables, but integrated circuits
don't quite behave like that. Unfortunately there was a lack of interest
in discussing that further. The issue isn't restricted to SSRs, it shows
up much more often in stuff we fiddle around with.