[chbot] OT: Low profile RCB architecturally

Mike Barnes Mike at Barnes.net.nz
Tue Jul 15 01:28:15 BST 2014

Hi Charles

I have to agree with Volker, all is good in your house until you have a
fault. In your case nothing in your house will work and then you have to
isolate 40 sub circuits to find that fault.
This will normally happen in bad weather when it's cold and wet.
Under the new regulations having more RCDs in the switchboard is better,
when there is an issue only 3 outlets and some lights are affected.
The oven, hobs and heat-pump are not on an RCD which is normal in modern NZ
wiring.

I have seen this very issue in my in-laws house. Their nice architecturally
designed outdoor lights seem to fill up with water, causing a fault to
earth.

At least their fridge /freezer and heaters still work until they drain the
offending light(s).....................again!

Regards
Mike