[chbot] IBM Blade server, and Linux

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Wed Jan 8 18:06:28 GMT 2014

Hi mike,

thanks, I had spotted that before.

The words "A registered copy of Red Hat Enterprise Linux Version 6"
strikes fear into my heart because "IBM + registered" sounds like big
bucks to me.

That is why I was hoping for an open source OS (which in this
context, means free, but I am sure that others can associate many
other meanings to my words :)

=========

The console unit does not seem to produce video, so there is moderate
chance that the hardware is actually busted.

But even if the console was OK, how do you select between blades ? I
guess I need a working console to find out

Presumably blade-to-blade comms is via Ethernet

Anyway, interesting piece of kit to poke at

I recently saw a USB powered coffee mug heater based on a pair of
overclocked 486's running NOPs. Should be able to make quite a room
heater using a similar technique with this unit.

-mark