[chbot] SMD packages

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Fri Feb 28 00:43:37 GMT 2014

On Fri 28 Feb 2014 09:07:06 NZDT +1300, Marshland Engineering wrote:

> Nope- I start with a requirement then look for the package. Eg 5
> volts at 100 ma.

Fair enough, but then it shouldn't take too long to get a picture of
what's industry standard. Small signal transistors are SOT-23.
Variations exist mainly in extreme areas, like high current or
frequency.

> I have a small reflow oven.

I have some doubts that you'll get a lot of happiness with QFN packages
on that one, but I'd be interested to hear otherwise.

> I can create the models in eagle but its searching for the smallest
> component on the suppliers list is my main requirement.
> After time I will get to know the sizes, just looking for a fast
> forward at the moment.

If you find a cross-reference list of the most common components post it
here! Otherwise it's not traditionally the job of the PCB layout
software, but maybe the $X0k you pay for Altium provides some of this.

Your best bet may be the manufacturers' online selection tables.