[chbot] Open street map on adroid

Stephen Irons stephen.irons at clear.net.nz
Mon Feb 17 01:40:49 GMT 2014

> Obviously osmand can't overcome the inherent characteristics of OSM.
> Compared with google maps, OSM misses
>   A destination search that works most of the time.
>   House numbers.
>   Property section outlines (OSM won't ever have this unless LINZ
>   supplies).

All LINZ topo data is available free of charge with a CC-BY (must credit
creator) license. Specifically, section outlines are available. See
http://data.linz.govt.nz/layer/1571-nz-parcels/

>   The detail that comes from using LINZ licensed topo data. For driving
>   this is not an issue though.

I don't think LINZ generates different a different data set for paying
users. I don't think LINZ has the concept of a paying user any more.

Granted, the LINZ data service is relatively new (a year or so old).
Previously, they had a commercial crowd distributing the data and
developing the web-app to select layers and choose the region to download.
That company imposed a limit on the amount your could download at any one
time.

It seems as though that development has been completed and transferred to
LINZ. http://data.linz.govt.nz seems to be exactly the same web-app as the
old commercial one, and the download limit is 2GB (probably the maximum
filesize on some file systems. You can also pay $65 per 32 GB flash drive
couriered to your door.

The bigger problem is one of feeding updates from LINZ to OSM: someone
imported the data from LINZ to OSM once, many years ago, but

   - new layers have been added (eg land parcels)
   - new roads and subdivision have been made
   - old roads have been closed
   - errors have been fixed

There is no way to know which data come from LINZ and which came from other
sources. So there is no way to update the old LINZ data.

--

------------------------------
This email, including any attachments, is only for the intended recipient.
It is subject to copyright, is confidential and may be the subject of legal
or other privilege, none of which is waived or lost by reason of this
transmission.
If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disseminate,
distribute or reproduce such email, any attachments, or any part thereof.
If you have received a message in error, please notify the sender
immediately and erase all copies of the message and any attachments.
Unfortunately, we cannot warrant that the email has not been altered or
corrupted during transmission nor can we guarantee that any email or any
attachments are free from computer viruses or other conditions which may
damage or interfere with recipient data, hardware or software. The
recipient relies upon its own procedures and assumes all risk of use and of
opening any attachments.