[chbot] Laser pointers

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Wed Feb 12 11:07:18 GMT 2014

The muppets have won and new legislation comes into effect 1 March that
limits the output power of lasers before things get seriously annoying.
Sellers must be licensed, buyers must show proof of purpose (e.g. letter
of membership from astronomical society). The limit is (so I've heard)
1mW.

If you want to get in quick, this person sells 5mW and 50mW models. The
latter have an infrared filter[1], which is required for safe operation
at that power level.

http://www.ledbulbs.co.nz/green-lasers
Ross Fitzgerald
Christchurch

Do NOT buy on trademe because it is unsafe (unless it is Ross). When I
looked a few months back there were only clueless sellers there.

Here are some more useful links:

Physics info:
http://phys.org/news/2013-04-hazards-green-laser-pointers.html
http://phys.org/pdf284370723.pdf

http://www.laserfocusworld.com/articles/2010/08/beware-the-dim-green.html
http://www.nist.gov/manuscript-publication-search.cfm?pub_id=906138
http://www.nist.gov/customcf/get_pdf.cfm?pub_id=906138

As far as I can gather, above 5mW can cause permanent eye damage faster
than one can blink or look away. And if it's infrared you won't even
attempt to.

Volker

[1] Also confirmed by experiment by a friend of mine.