[chbot] Opto isolated triacs - Digikey account anyone?

m.beckett at amuri.net m.beckett at amuri.net
Sat Dec 27 23:10:56 GMT 2014

Robyn

Jasper has already suggested the MOC3014.

When switching
inductive loads, we used this method we copied from a commercial device,
and it stopped us blowing up transformers.

We used MOC3010 since we
already detected the zero and switched then, and I was asked why the
diodes ...

Because they were there .... but I presume they introduce
0.6v drop ...

I used this ever since with no issues

Mark

On Sun,
28 Dec 2014 11:22:26 +1300, Robin Gilks wrote:

> Greetings all

I'm going to have to change the way I drive the triacs on my
irrigation
> controller as I think the asymmetric switching I'm
currently using is
> causing a DC component to get to the solenoids and
blowing them up (8-9 of
> them so far this year at over $40 a pop!)

The simplest mod I can come up with is to put zero switching opto
triacs
> between the existing drivers and triacs - that only requires a
4 pin DIL
> and 1 or 2 resistors (times 32 for the number of channels on
the
> controller)
>
> The Toshiba part TLP361J(F) available from
Digikey looks like it will do
> the job but I'm pretty sure you need an
account to get stuff from them.
> Can anyone assist in this area?