[chbot] Laser Cutting

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Wed Dec 10 20:15:01 GMT 2014

On Wed 10 Dec 2014 22:37:40 NZDT +1300, Helmut Walle wrote:

> From what I remember of Volker's post, he set his dimensions to mm.
> BUT... was that not in Inkscape? Inkscape may store this setting
> correctly in SVG (which is what is uses natively), but it may not
> export the setting to DXF.

Yes something like that I was thinkng too. Yes I set the export unit to
mm in inkscape (the default is pt, noticable because it exceeds the
laser cutter's bed size pretty quickly).

I don't see how this problem could be related to imperial units. Mixing
up 1mm with 25.4mm gives an error of factor 25.4, but the observed error
was factor 0.8 or 1.25, depending in which direction you go (0.8 from
inkscape DXF to laser machine).

DXF not storing any units sounds spot on.