[chbot] Laser cutting at Fab Lab XCHC

hamster hamster at snap.net.nz
Thu Dec 4 20:22:57 GMT 2014

Yesterday I got some laser cutting of 3mm MDF at Fab Lab XCHC on
Wilson's Road. I made panels for a perfect 600mm x 250mm x 50mm with
about 160 holes 2mm and 3mm drilled in one of the panels - see
http://hamsterworks.co.nz/mediawiki/index.php/Svg_box

Kerf (cut width)
is about 0.15mm, so you can do pretty epic accuracy - I did a design
with 0.1mm kerf allowance on the mitres, and it was a 'creaky press fit'
tight when the joints were dry, and assembled nicely with a little bit
of PVA lubrication.

Cost was under their minimum cutting charge of $35
- actual machine time was about $12 or so. I should have cut two.

If
anybody is interested in getting some cutting done, all you need is your
design in a vector file format (I used .SVG) and to make a booking.

Mike