[chbot] Surface mount soldering course

Quentin McDonald dqmcdonald at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 21:25:19 BST 2014

Next Wednesday is our Soldering 201 course: an introduction to
surface-mount soldering.

Soldering 201: Make a Theremin

7pm-9.30pm Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Tickets $20 on the door. Spaces are limited – RSVP at
http://www.meetup.com/The-Foundation-Christchurch/events/202270332/

Make your own version of the first electronic musical instrument ever
invented – the theremin.

In this follow-up to our Introduction to Soldering evening, electronics
expert Andrew Starr will show you how to make a theremin while introducing
the the basics of surface-mount soldering.

Theremins are electronic musical instruments played by moving your hand
through the air, perhaps best known for those quavering eerie alien noises
on old sci-fi films.

This session is beginner-friendly, and is perfect for those looking to try
something new, or those looking to refresh their skills

Space kindly provided by Catalyst IT (http://www.catalyst.net.nz).

Note - this is hand soldering, not paste/reflow/hot air. Hand soldering is
lots of fun and a good skill to know especially if you only intend (or are
forced) to use a few SMD parts.