[chbot] Agile! Jack Ganssle AUGUST 11, 2014

Chris Hellyar chris at trash.co.nz
Fri Aug 15 21:23:02 BST 2014

I’ve worked for a number of firms where Agile has failed.  For various cultural and inter-personal reasons, so as Quentin said there is no silver bullet.  I’m an Agile fan though, don’t get me wrong…

Scrum is the only disciplined version I’ve been taught but iterative inspection and adapt methodology for projects that rely on team transparency and collaborative planning all make sense no matter if it’s in-house grown technique or a book learnt methodology.

In terms of my own code, these days I’ve become a mercurial convert and use it for everything and check in / commit code for trivial changes for my own projects, and customer work.  I used to be an SVN defender but I had an SVN repo collapse on me a while back and never forgave it. :-)

And you’d be amazed at some of the crazy practices used by commercial dev. shops.  There are a few in CHCH I know of who are always 1 step away from massive code base armageddon. ;-)

Cheers, Chris H.