[chbot] Cheap ARM boards

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Tue May 21 05:33:55 BST 2013

On Tue 21 May 2013 15:49:24 NZST +1200, Mark Beckett wrote:

> Would that be Mark A for American?

The stirrer going at high revs...

> I showed one of these last month ... and there was a comment from
> someone about its compatibility.
> http://nz.element14.com/freescale-semiconductor/frdm-kl25z/kl25z-freedom-board-arm-dev-board/dp/219186101

Some of my notes from then:

FRDM-KL25Z
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=FRDM-KL25Z

    MKL25Z128VLK4 MCU - 48 MHz, 128 KB flash, 16 KB SRAM, USB OTG (FS), 80LQFP
    Capacitive touch "slider," MMA8451Q accelerometer, tri-color LED
    Easy access to MCU I/O
    Sophisticated OpenSDA debug interface
    Mass storage device flash programming interface (default) - no tool installation required to evaluate demo apps
    P&E Multilink interface provides run-control debugging and compatibility with IDE tools
    Open-source data logging application provides an example for customer, partner and enthusiast development on the OpenSDA circuit

Hardware design files
http://cache.freescale.com/files/soft_dev_tools/hardware_tools/printed_circuit_boards/bom/FRDM-KL25Z.zip

OpenSDA
http://www.pemicro.com/opensda/index.cfm

http://nz.element14.com/freescale-semiconductor/frdm-kl25z/kl25z-freedom-board-arm-dev-board/dp/219186101
NZ$11.43+GST special, NZ$21.40

> What they don't say is it comes with CooCox IDE, and is supported by
> mbed.org.

Both of which I regard as useless, but any arm toolchain on your PC
should do the trick. Beware, their suggested tools get expensive fast.

The alternative:

TEXAS INSTRUMENTS - EK-LM4F120XL - LM4F120, STELLARIS, LAUNCH PAD, EVAL
http://nz.element14.com/texas-instruments/ek-lm4f120xl/lm4f120-stellaris-launch-pad-eval/dp/2192061
NZ$21+GST

Late last year TI was allowing you to buy 2 for US$7 ea incl shipping.

TI product page
Stellaris® LM4F120 LaunchPad Evaluation Kit Status: ACTIVE EK-LM4F120XL
http://www.ti.com/tool/ek-lm4f120xl
US$13+pp

However it appears that only the LM4Fx3x have USB OTG, but check again.
On the upside, you get a Cortex-M4 with floating point hardware...
Dunno power consumption, and details of programming hardware.

http://volker.dnsalias.net/	Please do not CC list postings to me.