[chbot] nordic nRF

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Mon May 20 19:15:00 BST 2013

Hi Volker,

* procurement:*

The smaller RX unit being passed around was the nRF24LE1, which has
the 8051 as well as wireless on-chip. The PCB had a small etched
antenna. This used 2mm headers which are a pain, and came from
<http://stores.ebay.com.hk/worldwindow2010>http://stores.ebay.com.hk/worldwindow2010

The larger TX unit, with MIDI over USB has a dsPIC33EPxxx (older
version of
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/181143989109>http://www.ebay.com/itm/181143989109)
controlling an nRF24L01+, and an external RP-SMA antenna. This was
<https://www.sparkfun.com/products/705>https://www.sparkfun.com/products/705

If I were to do it all over again I would only buy from
<http://www.canton-electronics.com/>http://www.canton-electronics.com/
who also have the nRF24LE1 programmer along with low cost modules on
0.1" headers.

All of these suppliers seemed pretty good, Canton was the cheap and
easy to deal with.

On the FPGA based Audio-Box (brought it to other meetings) it is the
reason for the wireless MIDI. It uses the Sparkfun module attached to
a NIOS II 32 bit soft core processor. This CPU also drives the real
time video rendering engine along with audio control gain structure
and associated housekeeping.

* RF *

TX power is adjustable from 0dB downwards. At 250kb/s RX sensitivity
is -94dBm. Allowing for 12dB real world loss gives about an 82dB link
budget. This is about 100 metres of line of sight range at 2.4GHz
(much less indoors). Modules are tunable from 2400 to 2515MHz in 1MHz
steps, so easy to get away from WiFi etc.

Modules can be run up in CW mode - TX power was close to 0dBm, and
freq error was set by tolerance of the 16MHz xtal.

* software *

The Nordic SDK is targeted at the Keil 8051 tool-chain, of which the
latest free version is limited to 2k code size. There was a free key
to open this up to 4k, but does not seem to work with the latest
version. SDCC is open and free. Not the highest level of
optimization, but the price is right and easy to use. The only thing
that drove me nuts was having to put all of the interrupt handlers in
the main module.

Some kind soul has created an SDK
http://www.diyembedded.com/lib/nrf24le1/nrf24le1_sdk_v1.0.zip he has
been a bit enthusiastic with level of abstraction and given the
bare-metal application I wanted, only the headers were used. My basic
system is only a few hundred bytes, but I have also added a command
line interface for debug which brings things up to a few k.

* embedded 8051 version *

Has sleep management so units can go into low power for long periods
and only pop up with measurements as required - you can get average
current down to a few uA.

Part also has ADC, PWM, UART, GPIO on board - the trick is to find a
module with required features available.

* quick start *

I have a lot of stuff to help quick-start-you if any of this appeals,
and some spare hardware.

Nordic also do a UHF version that covers 433 / 868 / 920MHz with
+10dBm TX, but lower data rate. With good RF engineering, this could
get you kilometres of range...

Regards,

Mark