[chbot] Ubuntu

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Tue Jul 9 22:23:52 BST 2013

On Wed 10 Jul 2013 08:15:14 NZST +1200, Jasper Mackenzie wrote:

> > CPU: 80286 @ 10Mhz; FPU: n/a; RAM: 256K, HD: 20 Meg
> > Graphics: Monochrome; Power Supply: 100 W; Case: Yes/Open

MMU: n/a - this means you have to turn Linux into something like msdos,
which I would consider cheating, or you write a CPU simulator, adding
another 2 orders of magnitude to your performance hit.

I believe someone managed something like this a while back with the
equivalent of an Arduino mega.

> Sounds like a fun challenge!
> And no cheating! Packages in the repos only 8)
> Did they make compatible hdd's big enough even for the kernel back then?

Oops, kernel source alone is 500MB+. Does this contraption have to
compile its own Linux for the challenge to be valid...?

Here's another challenge: make it work with fewer bugs on a normal PC...
Lower sex factor, but beneficial to a hugely larger user base. ;-)))

http://volker.dnsalias.net/	Please do not CC list postings to me.