[chbot] Sundays balloon-adventure, report please

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Mon Jan 7 23:48:34 GMT 2013

Hi Andre,

4 baud / 10mW / 433MHz sounds like a superb mix to me.

+10dBm TX, with a 150km clear path gives an RX level around -130dBm.

You should be able to get 20dB processing gain
(due to the very narrow bandwidth) over a regular
NBFM signal (with nominal RX threshold of
-120dBm), so all these numbers seem to stack up well at first glance.

If you want to borrow a 5 ele 430MHz Yagi, I have
a commercial one kicking around. That should add
10dB over a whip on a handheld (if that is what you were using).

I also have a 430Mhz helical filter you can
borrow which should do a half reasonable job of
keeping adjacent channel cr*p out of the front end.

Please post more details about the modulator, transmitter etc.

Thanks,

Mark

PS any photos from the launch site ?