[chbot] Need your help: BYOD in Primary School

Andrew Errington erringtona at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 01:41:00 GMT 2013

Hi Hanno,

Here's an article casting doubt on the usefulness of this kind of
technology at college and university:
http://www.informationweek.com/education/instructional-it/classroom-technology-faces-skeptics-at-r/240148217

It was discussed on Slashdot here (there are some interesting comments
if you can wade through the chaff):
http://news.slashdot.org/story/13/02/11/1240254/professors-rejecting-classroom-technology

You can extrapolate downwards to see how useful it would be at other schools.

I, myself, am teaching English at a middle school in South Korea.
Here, the government has a plan called 'Smart' to introduce the same
tech. into all schools, essentially to replace textbooks.  This should
be coming on stream in the next couple of years. I actually visited a
'Smart' school to see some of the supporting technology in use, and
suffice it to say, I was not impressed.  I have no doubt that it will
make a lot of money for some well-known Korean technology companies.

Here is number 2 in a series of 3 articles on the program here:
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2012/05/113_111504.html

South Korea wants to be first at this, and are going all-out to make
it happen.  It will be worth watching, since if it *is* a success then
it will be highly visible.  I remain sceptical, since I can see what
the students do with their textbooks and their stuff, and all of their
smartphones have cracked screens...

Best wishes,

Andrew