[chbot] Need your help: BYOD in Primary School

Daniel Myall daniel.myall at chmeds.ac.nz
Tue Feb 19 09:59:35 GMT 2013

Dear Hanno,

I agree; I'm concerned by the drive by many primary schools that using
the latest technology is a critical part of education and see it
generally as likely a waste of money and time. I love technology but
generally keep it off limits to my children.

The "bring your own device" idea hasn't been around for long enough for
reliable evidence to be collected to fully evaluate the effect on
achievement. However, based upon my neuroscience-based view of learning,
and meta analyses (see Hattie, 2009, Visible Learning) regarding under
what conditions technology can assist learning, I see the effect size as
being rather small or even negative in these cases. It is far more
important to focus on other aspects of education that are known to have
large positive effects on achievement (quality teachers, reciprocal
teaching, feedback, improving student-teacher relationships, ...).

Kind regards,

Daniel

---
Daniel Myall, PhD
New Zealand Brain Research Institute
66 Stewart St, Christchurch 8011, New Zealand
P: +643 3739012 || C: +6427 2222585 || F: +643 3820811
E: daniel.myall at nzbri.org || W: nzbri.org/myall