[chbot] Need your help: BYOD in Primary School

Hanno Sander hanno at mydancebot.com
Tue Feb 19 08:14:58 GMT 2013

Hi!
The primary school my kids attend is excited to get more shiny iPads into
their classrooms with a "bring your own device" program.  Although I love
technology, I know that gadgets are just tools that serve a purpose.  I
don't want my kids to be restricted in their creativity by limited apps, I
don't want to waste their time playing games while they should be learning
in school, and I don't want them to have unsupervised access to the
internet.  We do have a tablet at home so I'm aware that they can be used
for good- but I don't see how one teacher can manage 30 eight year olds
with iPads during the school day.

The school is holding a meeting this Thursday were they're looking for
input from parents.  I'm planning to present a long list of reasons as well
as solid case studies showing why iPads/too much technology is detrimental
to learning in primary schools.  Any help with good arguments and/or links
to case studies/references is appreciated.

Thanks!
Hanno