[chbot] gnu radio

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Tue Aug 27 01:42:16 BST 2013

On Tue 27 Aug 2013 07:47:56 NZST +1200, Richard Jones wrote:

> After the meeting Volker and I got chatting about gnu radio. Its a great
> tool for knocking up a quick or sometimes not so quick signal processing
> applications. The gnu radio companion software provides a graphical front
> end to make a lot of jobs really simple.

Sounds very useful indeed.

> http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/InstallingGR

Installing should only be a few mouse clicks these days,
openSUSE users type in rpm:gnuradio into konqueror and use the 1-click
install.

> There are lots of tutorials to get you started.

Splendid, but I only had a brief look at the package. First impression
is that it requires a lot of time to get good use out of it.

> For software defined radio receivers the RTL2832 dongles for about $14US
> are a great place to start.

The software is obviously geared towards making existing suitable radio
hardware work as a radio. Can it equally be used just as a signal
processing toolbox for getting some C code for the filter chain designed
with it?

Thanks for the tip,

http://volker.dnsalias.net/	Please do not CC list postings to me.