[chbot] Simple Sound Level Meter Circuit

m.beckett at amuri.net m.beckett at amuri.net
Sat Aug 17 13:04:48 BST 2013

Spencer

Not sure if the 'noise' is actually from the cct or the
detection process.

We had some issues with the Arduino analog and false
or noisy
readings.
http://www.element14.com/community/thread/23967?start=15&tstart=21

_It's
a bit messy with the OP not exactly following the suggestions, but
Message 21 onwards should show that the analog needs some time to
settle._

Not sure your code, but send me an email if you like.
I do
have some audio peak hold circuits we used in lighting controllers, that
worked well.

Mark

On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 22:57:09 +1200, Spencer Travers
wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am working on a classroom environment monitor
project with a group
> of intermediate students (11-13 year olds). One
component of this
> project is a very basic sound level meter connected
to an Arduino. We
> have tried a Freetronics microphone interface board
(schematics
http://www.freetronics.com/products/microphone-sound-input-module
> [1])
with poor results. The module seems to be very noisy and the
> output
appears to oscillate.

> We are essentially after a circuit to sample
the background noise
> level and provide a 0-5 V output for the Arduino
ADC to read. We are
> not too concerned about accuracy as the output
will be a traffic light
> red/orange/green display. If the Freetronics
module had worked as
> advertised it would have been ideal.
>
> Can
anyone out there suggest a modification to the board we have or an

alternative circuit?

http://www.freetronics.com/products/microphone-sound-input-module#.Ug9RbZJ9t-0