[chbot] OT : smart phone shopping list

Geoff sdfgeoff at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 09:33:29 BST 2013

I recently bought a Alcatel onetouch M'pop, and am pretty pleased with it.
Price Tag: $199
Spec Sheet: http://www.gsmarena.com/alcatel_one_touch_m'pop-5242.php

Low cost Android smartphone, less than NZ$200: Yup, just.
No contract: Can buy handset only (It's what I did)
Not locked to any telco (Voda, Telecom, 2 degrees): Not sure. Came with a 2
degrees app, so possibly. Most of the preinstalled apps, like facebook and
twitter, can all be uninstalled without having to root the device.
Not required to be registerd with manufacturer (as Motorola require): Nope
Must support blutooth keyboard (HID) - (Android 4 or above ?): Android
4.1.1. There's an app that comes pre-isntalled for managing it. I haven't
tested it bacause I don't have one.
All data services available using WiFi (VOIP, HTTP etc): Tested http,
haven't tried VOIP.
Support 32G uSD card - HDSD: Apparently. Mine came with a 2gb and I haven't
bothered upgrading it. It also has 2gb inbuilt flash.
Can be used as a 3G / WiFi gateway: Yup, I use it as a wifi-card for my
laptop. I see no reason it can't be used for 3g also.
Replaceable screen / digitizer: Well, you can buy them on ebay, so I guess
so!
Google maps support, with local map download via WiFi: Google maps, yes.
For local maps support, I use Navigator. I can provide a link if you like.
GPS: Check
Accelerometer, gyros and compass a bonus. Accelerometer, yes. Compass Yes.

Additional Nice Features:
 - 5mp camera (and a low quality one facing the other way)
 - FM radio
 - Comes with Flip Top (which some may find annoying)

My Opinions:
 - Runs (really) fast, has a very good screen (high enough resolution/big
enough to read ebooks comfortably).
- Plenty of internal storage without needing external (unless you listen to
music, or store videos on it).
- Wifi is excellent. Get's better reception than any of my previous
[laptops cellphones]
- The 4" screen is a tad to big for my hands. You can't quite touch all of
it while holding it with a single hand.

Just to let you know what I have....
Geoff