[chbot] USB - RS232 modules.

Chris Hellyar chris at trash.co.nz
Sun May 13 03:37:35 BST 2012

Urro,

I wanted to have a USB socket on it rather than a tail, but I'm not
above hacking the plastic off a dongle. :-)

For audio at the moment I'm just using the line in/out on a laptop that
actually has an RS232.  For permanent install I want it to work with a
netbook so USB is required.

I've used soundmodem / hamlib for packet decoding but that's it for *ix
ham stuff so far. For echolink sysop mode the windows software is more
stable than Echolinux.

I've had the link running most of the day and it seems to be fairly good
with two one QSO that reported good audio. Although if I use a whip on
the HT the PTT is sticking so I assume there's RF getting in somewhere.
(7W on 2m will do that...)

It's node #713494 if you're bored.  It'll be online for another couple
of hours before I take it to bits to put some ferrite beads in random
spots to stop the RF pickup issue.

73  :-)