[chbot] Jog my memory!!

Robin Gilks robin at gilks.org
Wed Feb 22 20:47:31 GMT 2012

I'm trying to remember a game/system/environment from some 20 years ago
that ran under DOS.

The object was to write small programs that operated as autonomous robots
that interacted with the environment in which they ran and each other. The
object was to kill off the opposition!

The robots could be written in any language that compiled to a DOS
executable and for which there was a comms library (I think it used a DOS
interrupt to pass messages about). They all ran under a 'shell' that
defined the arena and allowed interaction and provided a character based
'graphic' display.

Each robot started with the same number of 'points' which could be used
for speed, gun range, radar, camouflage, sheilds, fuel etc. You could gain
points from a destroyed opponent and from refueling depots.

I'm sure that a more modern version exists (its too good an idea to be
lost forever), but to start with I need to find out what it was originally
called!!

Cheers all.

--
Robin Gilks