[chbot] Chipkit UNO32

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Mon Feb 13 10:21:46 GMT 2012

On Mon 13 Feb 2012 22:49:10 NZDT +1300, Mark Beckett wrote:

> Volker
> Out of curiousity did you use the Chipkit IDE to check the sketch size.?

Yes, that was the fast way to get something running. Arduino IDE vs
Chipkit IDE looks like a fair comparison. I know now that playing with
compiler options on AVR brings the code size down a bit and would expect
the same with pic32mx, obviously neither with the IDE - you're into
makefiles there.

> Also Arduino do have some 3v3 flavour devices, just not in UNO.

Yes there are some AVR chips on a PCB that are geared for 3.3V - it just
depends on how you define Arduino. I don't think Arduino has any Arduino
form factor boards (so you can use the shields) for 3.3V. Anyone can
take a CPU chip and do anything - but starting from (next to) nothing
takes longer.

> If you want to try a chipkit UNO32, I have one available.
> They are also available at Element14 (formally Farnell) with free
> freight (www.element14.co.nz)

When E14 has them on special they're about the same price as Digikey,
but include shipping. Otherwise check if you can reach the Digikey free
shipping with other stuff. Mouser might have them too, and they ship
from NZ but I don't know the shipping costs.

http://volker.dnsalias.net/	Please do not CC list postings to me.