[chbot] Pilots Assn. wants 1mw+ lasers banned

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Fri Feb 10 07:14:35 GMT 2012

On Fri 10 Feb 2012 10:44:23 NZDT +1300, Charles Manning wrote:

> > http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6379757/Pilot-group-calls-for-laser-ban

If correct, that report calls for control of lasers >1mW, and says that
Australia already controls at that level. Dunno about Europe, but I'm
certain there are controls too. And for good reason.

With some more dodgy laser pointers of Asian origin I've been thinking
they should be controlled too, if some idiot shines those into the
conference audience there will be a problem.

> I say bring it on. Most of the delinquents who shine lasers at planes likely
> lack the motivation to strip a laser out of a DVD player.

True. And community service strikes me as not quite adequate.

Does someone know typical power levels? DVD players, CD burners? Laser
pointers? Industrial lasers go into the Watts quickly, but I doubt
meatheads have access to them for taking places.

http://volker.dnsalias.net/	Please do not CC list postings to me.