[chbot] Random component give away. V 1.0

Chris Hellyar chris at trash.co.nz
Thu Apr 26 01:21:08 BST 2012

Hi Richard.

I was thinking it might get that way actually, I'll have another go at it tonight and see how much stuff is actually usable vs product specific.  Can I drop a box off to someone on the port hills side of the city?  My Mondays are all full up for the next few months with another club commitment.

FYI, The model down alarms used a electromechanical pager speaker rather than a piezo, which was the result of quite a painful and long development process.

The trick was the sweeping tones going through the resonant point and two harmonics of the speaker. Manufacturing tolerances were not great on the speakers unless we spent five times as much per unit so the sweeping tone made up for the difference in individual units.

Pretty much all of our competitors switched to pager speakers after ours had been on the market for a while but few of them seemed to grasp why we made the tones sweeping and even now 'better' LMA's seem to be really quiet in comparison.

I've still got a few of those wee speakers as well but I'm hanging on to them for my own slope models. :-)   I did however chuck out a couple of thousand PCB's for the model down alarms last week.  Just before I sold the rights to the design I ordered a large batch of panelised boards out of china.

I do wonder how many of those alarms are still going, we used a cheap tantalum cap on many of them.  The oldest will be coming up to 15 years old now, which must be around the right age for cheap tantalums to fail and short out the radio battery just at the wrong moment!  :-)  (You might wanna check yours if you're still using it!)

Cheers, Me.