[chbot] SUre Electronics ARV programmers.

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Fri Sep 23 09:51:30 BST 2011

On Thu 22 Sep 2011 09:23:07 NZST +1200, hamster wrote:

> Has anybody any experience  with the AVR programmers from Sure
> Electronics?
>
> http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=1099  US$39
> http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=982   US$23
> http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=18    US$16
> (postage is $7.10)

Just at the prices I probably wouldn't bother.
I understand any Arduino can be turned into a programmer by loading the
right program and connecting it up to the target (e.g. another Arduino).
If you then use the Arduino built-in boot loader you only need to
program this once. Hardly worth a lot of $$, you can always find a spare
Arduino in the bottom drawer. Dedicate it to the purpose if you don't
use the native boot loader.

So I came to the conclusion of who cares about the programmer, they're
cheap as dirt and about as common.

The better question to ask IMHO is how to make this work with JTAG, or
whatever the smaller AVRs use as equivalent. Once that's sorted you have
the programmer with it (all those JTAGs can program too).

Unfortunately I haven't yet found any confirmation that any particular
hardware device (an Arduino should be capable, for example) actually
does the trick. The issue is getting avr-gdb to talk to the target. And
it needs to run on Linux, I don't have a use for LoseAVR & Co. Anyone
got this to work...?

Thanks,

http://volker.dnsalias.net/	Please do not CC list postings to me.