[chbot] Choc Fish Challenge #5

Cass Jones jones.cass at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 00:43:38 BST 2011

I work out 2km:

At the first end (end A) you connect all the wires together in pairs,
leaving 2 unpaired as single conductors, then you attach the negative
lead to one of the single wires and the positive to one of the pairs.
label the negative wire as 4 and the other unpaired wire as 1, you
then walk to the other end (end B). (1km so far)

Now at end B you try all the wires with the bulb untill you find the
three live wires, you should be able to determine the positive end
from the negative by there being two positive wires and only one
negative, label the negative wire 4,

Now connect the negative wire to one of the other wires that isn't
positive, you should be able to find which wire its paired with at end
A by another wire in the group becoming negative, label the wire you
connected to the negative as 5 and the lead the becomes negative as 6

The only wire this wont work for is the unpaired wire you labeled at
the other end that wasn't negative. when you find this wire label it
as 1 to match the other end and connect it to one of the positive
wires, label the two positive wires, label the one connected to wire 1
as 2 and the other one as 3.

Leaving each connection in place repeat that process of finding the
pairs using the new negative lead until all of the wires are connected
in series except the three now positive leads (1, 2 and 3). label each
new wire you connect as one higher than the last newly found negative
wire you labeled and each new negative you find as one higher than
that, such that the wires are connected in order, 4 is connected to 5
is connected to 6 is connected to 7 etc until all 120 are labeled at
end B.

Walk back to the end A (now having walked 2km)
Now we can determine the order of the positive leads by disconnecting
2 and 3 from each other and the positive terminal then by connecting
the positive terminal to each of them in turn until you find which is
connected to 1. label that wire as 2 and the other as 3. We can forget
about these three wires now.

Now hooking up one side of the tester bulb straight to the positive
terminal of the battery and leaving the negative terminal attached to
the original negative wire, 4, disconnect one pair at a time,
reconnecting it before trying the next pair, until you find the pair
that when you disconnect it, it leaves all the other pairs connected
to the negative terminal. (you'll need some exposed conductor where
you've bridged wires to test against). You can now label those two
wires you have just disconnected, one will still be negative and the
other wont, the one that isn't negative is wire 120, and the one that
is still negative is 119.

Now leaving the newly labeled pair disconnected, repeat this process
untill you've found the next pair that leaves the all the pairs still
connected to negative, disconnect that pair and label accordingly, one
less than the last pair, with the wire that is still connected to
negative as the lower number of the two.

Repeat the whole process untill you've labelled all of the wires.