[chbot] Choc fish challenege 4

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Fri Sep 2 01:27:47 BST 2011

This takes me back to my uni days where I used pucnch cards for the whole of
first year and part of second year.

Punch cards had their pros and cons.

Pros:
1) Much harder to accidentally delete a file.
2) No need for source control. Just keep the old cards that you swapped out in
another box.
3) Made useful post cards.

Cons:
1) Big a box of cards (approx the size of a shoe box) held 2000 cards, each of
which had 80 characters. ie. a max of 160k bytes.
2) A broken card reader could easily nick all the cards in a deck in a few
seconds and you'd need to repunch them.
3) If you wanted to edit or indent a line you had to throw away a card and
replace it. You went through lots of cards.
4) If you drop a box of cards it takes a while to sort out your program.

That last point I discovered when I tripped and  dropped a compiler (approx
2500 cards)  down a stairwell.