[chbot] Big batteries

Jasper Mackenzie jasper.mackenzie at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 08:46:53 BST 2011

> I think the batteries you are getting are somewhat different to the ones I
> had in mind. My idea of a telecom battery is a single 2v cell, 1200
> amp-hrs, weight about 50kg. I'd be using 12 of them for my 24 volt system,
>  which at $1.70/kg immediately puts me the wrong side of a grand :(
  Right... you get these from an even more cagey crowd: RRT. They
sometimes get the 1000AH, and the smaller 500AH 2v cells. DO NOT GET
the 2V sonenshein gell cell's they are absolute rubbish!
I have not seen them there for a while. When I next have a car I can
drive (automatic) I will make a habbit of popping past to see if they
have any.
 I have had a pretty bad run with RRT, your luck may vary.
 I have stayed clear of these batteries as the banks end up being to
big to fill. I would rather have many smaller banks that can all be
kept close to fully charged, than risk loosing it all. Sure you have
the grid as a backup - not everyone is so lucky.

> Maybe you have dropped a decimal place? (I hope!!)
 No the scrap metal prices are going crazy in light of international
monetary insecurity.

Nothing like being able to physically clean the plates should you need
to. I have 19.98L of a drum of conc.Sulphuric I would love to have
used if you end up replacing all the acid. scary scary scary drum. the
plastic will break down eventually

Jasper