[chbot] Big batteries

Helmut Walle helmut.walle at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 07:26:54 BST 2011

Depending on your application, telecom backup batteries may not be
what you want... you may already be aware of this, but there are quite
different flavours of lead-acid batteries. They are all based on the
same chemistry, but there are huge differences between the plate
designs.

There are specific batteries for cars (lighting / starting / ignition
= LSI), which are designed for high currents but don't like being
cycled. Then there are traction / deep-cycle batteries that are
designed for being cycled over their full capacity, but they don't
tolerate quite as high currents as the LSI batteries (I don't know
whether the ones used for storage in solar-electric applications are
simply from this category, too, or whether they are again specific to
their intended use). And then there are backup batteries like the ones
used in telecom applications, and these are optimised for being
floated fully charged for long periods of time, without being cycled
much at all. This is just a very superficial overview, but the point
is that if you are using a lead-acid battery for an application
contrary to its design, it will not perform well, and it may shorten
the battery's life significantly.

Kind regards,

Helmut.

--