[chbot] GCC / Codesourcery #pragma for ARM Cortex M3

Richard Jones rjtp at ihug.co.nz
Sat Oct 15 23:22:25 BST 2011

Hi Mark,

I'm going to contradict your without attitude comment from a previous post :-(

I think you have made a good case for test driven development. Write
automated tests before you write the code and test what you ship. You
should be able to change optimiser settings at will and see your tests
still pass. Then you and others are free to re-implement any module at
will. I like to set the optimiser from day 1. Stepping the code
through can be an interesting ride with the gcc optimiser on O3.

Its been a good many years since I have detected an optimiser bug,
although the optimiser does expose bad coding, especially around the
use of 'volatile'.

Note that tomorrows meeting is in Training Room 2 at 6.30pm as usual.

Richard