[chbot] LI Ion battery 0v

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Tue Nov 15 00:11:46 GMT 2011

On Sunday 13 November 2011 10:21:36 Marshland Engineering wrote:
> Hi I purchased a large 3 cell Li-Ion battery pack off eBay. After one use,
> one cell is at 0v. The other 2 are 3.7. Can the cell be kicked back into
> life ? My guess it is internally shorted.

Were they in series? If so then the 0V cell has likely been reverse polarised
with can be seriously bad for the cell.

A recharger likely won't want to try charge it until it gets to a reasonable
voltage. Try trickle charging at a few mA for a while and see if that gets it
back into charging range.

NB Given the bad things that can happen with Lithium in the picture, only fool
around with these things outside and away from anything that you care about.

-- Charles