[chbot] My 2c worth on I2C

Peter Harris petes.username at gmail.com
Tue May 31 03:24:30 BST 2011

Having looked at the actual design again here are some updates:
The circuit uses 2 PNP devices and may in fact be temperature compensated.
The current is ~3mA (220R/VEB)
There is a potential gotcha with an active pull-up:
When the line is high the current source has no load and so presents a very
low impedance between the line it is pulling up and Vcc. In this situation a
device attempting to pull the line low may experience a large transient
current as the current source stabilises. I know for a fact that this can
hang the I2C interface on an ST7. The cure for this was to add 47R between
the current source output and the line.

  Peter