[chbot] Interesting presentations at our next meetings || Teleduino

Nathan Kennedy nathan at kennedytechnology.com
Mon May 30 22:39:19 BST 2011

Hi Richard,

Thank you for the feedback.

JSON (and JSONP) can be used at the web service level, via the proxy. I
wanted to keep data traffic to an absolute minimum so decided on the
ASCII-Hex method for server-client communication. Sure, it's only a few
bytes, but if you're polling the device every 5 seconds for something, then
those few bytes can add up!

Looking forward to meeting you all in person.

Thanks,
Nathan.

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 8:07 AM, Richard Jones <rjtp at ihug.co.nz> wrote:

> [...]
>
> We would be thrilled to have a presentation on your Teleduino. Feel free to
> come along when you are ready, and thanks for breaking your read only
> silence!
>
> Probably a little late for you, but have you looked at
> http://www.json.org/ for a protocol layer to handle name/value pairs?
> There is Arduino support here:
> http://arduino.cc/blog/2010/11/15/ajson-the-arduino-json-library-is-released-in-v1-0/
>
> Richard
>
> On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 11:19 PM, Nathan Kennedy <
> nathan at kennedytechnology.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Richard and group,
>>
>> I'm normally read-only on here, but definitely enjoy the content of the
>> mailing list.
>>
>> I have been spending a lot of time developing a library for the Arduino
>> which I intend to release into the public domain (after all, that's what the
>> Arduino is all about, right?). I've named the library Teleduino, which
>> allows remote operation of the Arduino functions via several methods
>> (serial, telnet, http, or via proxy). The Teleduino uses a generic protocol
>> that I've defined, using human-readable ascii-hex.
>>
>> Documentation for the protocol is work-in-progress. I've got a Technical
>> Writer working on this for me.
>>
>> In the mean time, I've written a PHP library which handles all the
>> protocol level stuff, so if you know a little PHP you can easily interface
>> with the Teleduino by just calling some simple methods.
>>
>> I'd be keen to come along to a meeting and see what people think, and
>> perhaps have some people try some stuff out with it. Perhaps I could put
>> something together as a presentation? All that is needed is a Arduino module
>> (for the serial method at least), and an Ethernet Shield (for all the
>> network based methods).
>>
>> I attended one of the SpaceCraft evenings a while back, but with a baby,
>> and then earthquakes, I find it a little difficult to get along to these
>> things!
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> Nathan.
>>
>> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 10:50 PM, Richard Jones <rjtp at ihug.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>>> The thing I like about Robotics and the people who come to our meetings
>>> is the diversity of science/technologies involved and the diversity of
>>> skills and experience  of folks who come along to our meetings. We've
>>> managed really well with impromptu show and tell, and Marks off the cuff
>>> presentation on Gate Arrays was stunning. So here's the deal. How about we
>>> start off this email as a list of topics that people would like to hear
>>> about in say 15-30min prepared presentations. Topics could be anything
>>> vaguely related to robotics. eg Battery technologies and charging. Folks can
>>> put a + against a topic that they would like to hear about, and add their
>>> name if willing to present it. Please add topics and names below as you
>>> wish. I have put in a few ideas to start the ball rolling.
>>>
>>> Topic List for Chch Robotics Presentations.

>>> 2. Building a hexapod and making it move. +
>>> 3. JTAG ice debugging for AVRs+
>>> 4. How to use One wire devices +
>>> 5. Controlling Lego Mindstorms from Android phones.