[chbot] Mini Robot Wars Announcement

Richard Jones rjtp at ihug.co.nz
Mon May 23 23:56:52 BST 2011

To create a little excitement at Robotics meetings we are announcing a new
(for Christchurch) Mini Robot Wars challenge for remote controlled (or
autonomous) robots.
We can refine the rules as we develop, the challenge should appeal to all
ages. Here are some proposals for starters.
Run as many robots at the same time as attend in any class per round, the
goal is to either disable other robots or push them out of the competition
floor. Last functional robot remaining in play is declared the winner of
that round.
3 Classes for starters:
300g Max weight Spinners.
300g Max weight Non Spinners.
Lego Robots (any weight). For control see
http://mindstorms.lego.com/en-us/News/ReadMore/Default.aspx?id=227417

Initially we can run tournaments on the Lego Sumo ring seen a couple of
Christmases ago.

Here is how the 300g weight budget might be spent:
124g  4 x NiMH Batteries
132g  2 x MG995 Servo
  10g  1 x Receiver
  34g  Wheels etc.

Any comments or suggestions?

The first session will be held at our next meeting scheduled for Monday June
20th at Tait Radio Communications, 175 Roydvale Ave, Christchurch
6.30pm-9.30pm.

Richard Jones