[chbot] Automation

Andrew Errington a.errington at lancaster.ac.uk
Sun Jun 26 04:54:27 BST 2011

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 11:23:11 Josh Harris wrote:
> Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster.
>
> I work for a company operating in the cordon.
>
> Today I was discussing the possibility of using a UAV to remotely recon EQ
> damaged buildings with my boss, he was very interested in this, and
> suggested possibly automating some of his equipment to operate remotely.
>
> Unfortunately I don't have enough knowledge / experience to achieve
> something like this.
>
> I'm wondering if there is somebody who would be able to talk to my boss
> about this.
>
> Please email me off list if you or somebody you know could help.
>
> P.S: I'm unsure if this message is against the rules, if so, sorry

Hello Josh, and welcome.

Your message is not against the rules (there are not many of them), and it's
an interesting idea.

I know you asked for off-list replies, but I cannot help directly, and I'd
like to stimulate some discussion here (please, everyone else, if you wish to
personally volunteer to help, please contact Josh off-list.  Let's keep
general discussion here).

I saw this project yesterday on Hack-a-day:

http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/en/PointOfInterest#Point_Of_Interest

I don't know if the code is available, but there are other similar projects on
the web, and maybe this will give you some idea about what's possible.

Many people are adding miniature cameras to RC planes, helicopers, and buggies
and wearing LCD goggles to get a view from the 'cockpit'. Google for "FPV"
(first-person view) or "FPV RC" for more ideas.

The first caveat that comes to mind (after safety, of course) is that flight
times can be quite short due to battery life or fuel tank limitations, so
don't get too excited!

Anyway, we live in a time when RC helicopters, cameras, GPS, displays, and all
sorts of cool electronic parts are cheap and plentiful, so have fun!

Andrew