[chbot] Anyone making PCBs?

Andrew Errington a.errington at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Jun 6 07:45:46 BST 2011

On Sat, 04 Jun 2011 13:32:18 Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
> Yes, that makes sense. Is it really necessary to remove all the last bit
> of copper oxide, and to use acetone? Fingerprints will be a k.o., but
> they come off with meths. Did you by chance try it with meths insted of
> acetone?

Ok, I don't have meths (Ethanol with a small percentage of Methanol), but I do
have 99% pure Methanol.  I tried cleaning the toner from a board that didn't
transfer well (so I can re-use the board material).  Methanol does not
dissolve the toner.  It does seem to clean the exposed copper well, but has
no effect on the toner.  I might use Methanol instead of Acetone to clean the
board before etching, and then use Acetone to remove the toner after etching.

I'm getting ready to etch my next board.  I now know that I should scrub the
board thoroughly, and not press too hard on the iron.  I'm also going to try
an experiment, and that is to spray some acetone onto the PCB and then
quickly apply the artwork.  The idea is that the acetone on the PCB will
dissolve the surface layer of the applied toner and then evaporate through
the paper, leaving the toner stuck to the PCB.  If this works then there will
be no need for ironing- just straight to the warm water bath to remove the
paper.  I have found only one other mention of this on the web.  The guy
announced he was going to try it, but never reported his findings.  I *will*
write back, because I am sure you are all eagerly anticipating the result.

Anyway, now I actually need to get on and do it.