[chbot] Anyone making PCBs?

Andrew Errington a.errington at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Jun 1 05:26:27 BST 2011

On Wed, June 1, 2011 10:26, Charles Manning wrote:
> I've even had some success using regular photocopy for the toner transfer
>  medium. The trick with this is to soak it for a couple of minutes and
> then slowly rub it really gently so that the paper slowly rubs away,
> leaving the toner in place.

Yes, I tried that, but I didn't have good adhesion, so the tracks came off
too.  I think the key is very clean copper.

> If some of the track comes away you can fix this by using a waterproof
> marker pen.

Yes, I used a Sharpie to fix mine, and the tip of a craft knife to scrape
away where the toner got smudged.

> As for etchant? What's wrong with Ferric chloride? Or does the Nanny
> State
> only allow us to use organic lemon juice?
>
> sicom.co.nz  sells Ammonium Persulphate.
>
> In the Good Old Days you could buy HCl as Spirits of Salts. It was
> commonly sold in hardware shops for cleaning. Works well at cleaning up
> those odd bits of cement left behind after grouting etc.

Ferric Chloride is nasty.  And it stains *everything*.

Ammonium Persulphate is $16 at Sicom.  How much is HCl?  You only need a
few mls.  Peroxide is cheap (or at least, it is here).

Anyway, I am aware of the alternatives, but I am quite pleased that
everything can be done with such easily available (and cheap) stuff.

Best wishes,

Andrew