[chbot] CNC kit?

Chris Hellyar chris at trash.co.nz
Wed Jul 27 14:00:24 BST 2011

'Urro,

I'd say that the biggest obstacle depends on your own skill set really.

The software tool chain is an issue but if you've got an end result in
mind and a bit of general PC literacy you can navigate that minefield.
A lot of DIY'ers on the cnczone.com forums seem to have problems with
the electronics but I imagine most people on this list would be OK there.

For me the hurdle for some ideas is a lack of hand tool finesse. With
CNC I can skip that, and arrive in a place where if I can draw it on the
pc I can make it.  (In theory at least)

Hmmm, a kit + DVD sounds way more organised than I was thinking!

I was thinking about a 'flat packed' kit of cnc cut MDF bits, major
hardware and instruction book/pdf.

FYI, the only 'kit' cnc machine I know of available locally was from
Craftsman CNC up north.  He no longer kits it, although its on his
website: http://www.craftsmancnc.co.nz/cnckit1.html

It's quite a complex design, and is quite large at 920x650 cutting area.
Plus the MDF+ linear hardware kit is listed at $850, which is getting up
there.  (Not saying it's over-priced BTW. I've emailed the chap a bit
and I think they are reasonable prices for the complexity of the machine
and quality of the manual he produced)

Cheers, Me.