[chbot] OT....what should it cost?

Carl Ranson carl.ranson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 06:40:39 GMT 2011

Hey all, some interesting points raised by various people which i'll
address here.

First, Let me clarify what I'm trying to achieve.

I currently have a mysky box in the living room and tv's in two of the
bedrooms.
I'm using video senders to share that with the bedroom and get the IR
signal back.
It works after a fashion but suffers due to interference from various
devices (wifi, cordless mouse, microwave etc).
Problems range from annoying pops and clicks to full video dropout, plus
the IR back is unreliable.

So my main goal is to have mysky available in every room optimised for
the following
     Picture quality
     IR controller reliability
     cost
     future proof-ness.

The mysky box is down one end of the house, but there is a central
closet that would be a better place for it.
The mysky box is the non-HD one and doesn't have an HDMI output. Only 2
of the 3 tv's have hdmi inputs.

I saw this at jaycar and it seemed just the thing.
http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=AC1648

So, assuming the sky box is moved to the central point, the cable back
to the living room is 20m (that's up the wall, over the roof space and
down again)
The bedrooms are back to back and can be reached from underneath (most
of the house is on piles) The run is 10m under the floor an up into the
closet.

Ok, so its 5x coax per run, but its only 200m. Jaycar has that $1.5/m
http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=WB2009

so back to question time.....
Is that setup likely to work in terms of picture quality?

I think the materials for that setup shouldn't be more than $400. The
quote I've had is $2200

I'm open to alternatives provided they will give the necessary reliability.
I'm suspicious of boxes that claim to do it all over a cat5e (eg.
http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=QC3684 ).
I don't reckon they'll give acceptable quality but let me know if anyone
has had good experiences with those.

Thanks all for your time.