[chbot] FPGA stuff

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Mon Feb 21 23:28:08 GMT 2011

Hi All,

A point of confusion that is my fault : NIOS I was ARM based. Altera
the have since moved to NIOS II which is also RISC, but not ARM.

 From what I heard, for the 'dipping toes in" part of the project, it
almost doesn't matter who the vendor is providing that the demo
hardware is low cost  Charles has found a capable Altera board for
US$49 which seem to the lowest cost dev system out there.

However Richard was doing some investigations and may come up with an
even lower cost option.

-Mark