[chbot] Kickstart in FPGA course...

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Tue Feb 15 05:28:00 GMT 2011

The idea of a short course to get people started should cover the basics.

Bear in mind that total documentation for modern, complex FPGAs run
into the thousands of pages - the trick is to learn how to navigate
or where to look to find how to navigate the data.

I went with Altera rather than Xilinx because of it's usage at Tait
and the associated knowledge base - that is a big thing for me as it
could help open them up as a client.

 From a pragmatic point of view don't forget to look at the number of
leaded pins and pin pitch of the less complex parts. BGA while cute
are difficult to manage on 2 layer PCBs.

 From a beginners viewpoint, a cheap CPLD is probably OK just to see
what you can do with the technology.

... and so the Altera vs Xilinx battle raged.

-Mark

Actually, I do have an old Xilinx board kicking around has never been
powered up and I am secretly hoping that Altera isn't chosen then
someone else gets to talk about something I know little about...