[chbot] Robot Friendly Bluetooth board, and Arduino Nano V3 compatible

David Churcher davechcr at dchurcher.com
Tue Aug 9 00:09:24 BST 2011

On 8/08/2011 9:15 a.m., Richard Jones wrote:
> I'm considering ordering this bluetooth board from Deal Extreme. I'm
> hoping that it will provide short distance ttl serial comms to my
> micromouse robot. Handy for testing acceleration and deceleration
> without the encumbrance of cables.
>
> http://www.dealextreme.com/p/wireless-bluetooth-rs232-ttl-transceiver-module-80711

  I have a couple of these boards with different firmware, from
Seeedstudio and Dfrobot. They work well enough, and have connected to
every PC and Android device that I've tried. Occasionally they get
disconnected and you have to cycle power on the board to be able to
reconnect, but it doesn't happen very often. The pin spacing on the
board is smaller than 0.1" so you have to solder wires to it or use a
PCB. You can get them in a "Bee" carrier board from Seeedstudio, which
is a bit easier to play with.

  Re the Nano, If you're looking for a really tiny and light Arduino the
Seeeduino Film ($US19,
http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/seeeduino-film-p-689.html) is pretty
neat. Folded up it is only twenty-something millimetres square. You can
even snip off the parts you're not using. It is a little more expensive
than the Nano, but comes with a tiny LiPo battery and charger circuit.
You do need a 3.3V USB-to-serial board to program it. It's only
ATMega168 at 8MHz, the film is obviously a bit fragile, and I have
managed to blow up the LED output pin somehow (I think by getting the
DTR and ground wires crossed), but the rest of the board still works OK.

Regards,
David