[chbot] !!!!!!!! Choc fish challenge 2 !!!!!!!!!

Pieter Britz pabritz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 01:45:33 BST 2011

Or it will run until you run out of ram or rom space, assuming you can
access all of the ram/rom space you are pointing to.
Just thought of something, the code does not say while((*x++ *==* *y++)){},
thus the value y is pointing to, incremented by one, should always be able
to *successfully *be stored in the register x is pointing to, even if the
value in *x is incremented before the store.
Thus == to while(1){}

Cheers,
Pieter.

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 8:53 AM, Andre Renaud <andre at bluewatersys.com> wrote:

> On 03/08/11 22:13, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
> > On Wed 03 Aug 2011 11:40:03 NZST +1200, Charles Manning wrote:
> >
> >> In my books there is also a very hot place reserved for those who write
> things
> >> like
> >> while((*x++ = *y++)){}
> >
> > You can't really compare this with previous examples. This one is much
> > different because it is undefined, unpredictable and therefore useless
> > and much worse. Your choc fish challenge was defined in its behaviour
> > and predictable, although extremely bad programming and a convoluted way
> > to say while(1); .
>
> I don't think this is undefined - isn't this a simple implementation of
> strcpy (assuming x & y are char *)? It will continue around until it
> assigns a 0 pointer, at which point it will stop. It would be undefined
> if you had *x++ = *x++.
>
> Regards,
> Andre

> Meetings 3rd Monday each month at Tait Radio Communications, 175 Roydvale
> Ave, 6.30pm

Pieter Britz
+64 201 2374835
pabritz at gmail.com