[chbot] Small Micros with I2C bus

Michael Pearce mike at kiwacan.co.nz
Sat Apr 23 16:37:36 BST 2011

Main difference is the peripherals, a core is a core it moves data and
adds data.... I switched between Atmel, 8051, 6800 and PIC fairly
easily when I needed in past jobs.
These days I do a  lot of porting from everyone else's micros to a
PIC, for complicated programs (written in 'C') usually takes 2 or 3 of
us a day... then working with customer to verify on their hardware
probably takes a week. Assembly is usually a re-write from scratch.

Also a side note... Atmel and others are currently in court over their
<=8 pin Micro-controllers  - in breach of a patent about external pin
count vs internal data path width
Also applies to 16bit micros in packages <= 16 pins and 32bit Micros
<=32 pins etc.
Two possible results: 1. they have to withdrawl the parts... 2. they
have to pay a lot of money, increasing the price of the parts.

As far as parts go, it will generally be cheaper to purchase from overseas.
For example local stores sell PIC12F6xx parts for over NZ$6 each
Microchip Direct is around US$2 each (NZ$2.45 ea)
This applies to many places, and if you can buy enough then shipping
is easily offset by the lower prices
Also with Digikey - sometimes it is cheaper to buy in US$ and pay the
extra shipping, as they have fixed prices for their NZ catalog which
do not change with the exchange rate.
Just notes from past experience....

Before I moved to the US I was thinking about setting up a component
ordering collective, especially since I was buying a lot of parts from
overseas.

Mike