[chbot] Meeting Report October 2010

Richard Jones rjtp at ihug.co.nz
Fri Oct 22 01:22:40 BST 2010

We had a very select gathering on an evening when a public meeting on
earthquakes may have taken its toll on attendance. We discussed the idea of
a new robotics challenge, Kelvin suggested something with an environmental
impact, refinements and suggestions welcome on our email group. Our next
meeting will be on Monday 15th November at 6.30pm (moved to 3rd Monday of
each month). This is what we talked about, photos
here<http://picasaweb.google.com/113134050398543502524/ChchRobotics2010October?feat=directlink>.

Aiden spoke about a line following robot that he and a friend are
developing.

Kelvin talked about hands on sessions involving electronics and radio
construction for young people to be held at the clubroom of the Christchurch
Amateur Radio Club. More details to follow. Kelvin also has some GPS modules
for sale.

Richard (not me) spoke about his work with large servo motors.

Peter talked about life before school designing the carriages in daily use a
the Gondola that follow a buried cable.

Robin showed us his window opening project with windscreen wiper motor
actuator, garage door torsion spring and AVR butterfly controller. Spring
and bearings free from a skip diving session.

Jonathon talked about reusing CD drive motors for a flying project.

Paul brought along his helicopter and gave us some flying demos. Sorry no
photo.

Hanno brought along a leaking radio controlled submarine from Deal Extreme,
his TBOT, and propscope and talked about a book soon to be launched by
Parallax that sounds ideal for folks starting out in electronics. The
propscope is about to be reduced to $199US.

A working laser printer and optical mouse found new homes on the free stuff
table. Thanks to all who came and shared. See you next time Mon
15thNovember in the Science Alive Seminar Room.

Richard Jones

<http://picasaweb.google.com/113134050398543502524/ChchRobotics2010October?feat=embedwebsite>